Monday, August 29, 2005

Thanks For Your Generosity

My dear Dr. Firor,

Your continued goodness to me becomes positively embarrassing and I don't know how to thank you; another huge food parcel containing all sorts of good things has just arrived in exellent condition and how very welcome it is, you can imagine yourself.
~C.S. Lewis, The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis: Volume II, Letter of 22nd Jan 1948

My dear Dr. Firor,

What on earth am I to say to you? On Thursday I wrote to you in acknowledgement of an excellent parcel, and today I find myself faced with the task of thanking you for another one, and that a ham no less! No one ever sees a ham these days over here...I shall probably be known in Oxford for months as 'the man who got the ham from America'!
~C.S. Lewis, The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis: Volume II, Letter of 24th Jan 1948


My dear Mr. Allen,

I am quite at a loss for words in which to acknowledge your continued kindness to me. Your excellent parcel of 22nd November 1947 has just come in, with all its contents in good condition: and very valuable to us they all will be, in view of the rainy day which is rapidly approaching. Cheerful optimists tell me that if the Marshall Plan doesn't go through, our meat ration will be three pence per week.
~C.S. Lewis, The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis: Volume II, Letter of 27th Jan 1948

My dear Mr. Allen,

(...)Nothing has in my time made such a profound impression in this country as the amazing outburst of individual American generosity which has followed on the disclosure of our economic situation. (I say nothing of government action, because naturally this strikes the 'man in the street' much less obviously). The length of time which a parcel takes to cross the Atlantic is a significant indication of the volume of food which must be pouring into England.
~C.S. Lewis, The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis: Volume II, Letter of 19th Jan 1948

______________________

To my American readers, we anticipate a need for donations to the American Red Cross to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home