Sunday, June 08, 2008

Overcome, and Come Up

While I still watched, I noticed that the whole plain and forest were shaking with a sound which in our world would be too large to hear, but there I could take it with joy. I knew it was not the Solid People who were singing. It was the voice of that earth, those woods and those waters. A strange archaic, inorganic noise, that came from all directions at once. The Nature or Arch-Nature of that land rejoiced to have been once more ridden, and therefore consummated, in the person of the horse. It sang:

'The Master says to our master, Come up. Share my rest and splendour till all natures that were your enemies become slaves to dance before you and backs for you to ride, and firmness for your feet to rest on.

From beyond all place and time, out of the very Place, authority will be given you: the strengths that once opposed your will shall be obedient fire in your blood and heavenly thunder in your voice.

Overcome us that, so overcome, we may be ourselves: we desire the beginning of your reign as we desire dawn and dew, wetness at the birth of light.

Master, your Master has appointed you for ever: to be our King of Justice and our high Priest.'

~C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce, Chapter 11 (1946)

14 Comment(s):

At Fri Jun 13, 09:15:00 PM EDT, Blogger Martin LaBar said...

Ah, yes! Heaven, as seen by CSL. Great quote.

 
At Wed Aug 27, 11:58:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mike Crowl said...

One of Lewis' best books, in my opinion.
I've only just discovered your site. I'm very fond of Lewis, and our church, over the last four or so years, has been presenting dramatised versions of the Narnia Stories. We're up to the Dawn Treader this year, which opens in about three weeks. They make wonderful plays - even if they are a little difficult to stage! (Surprisingly, the Lewis trust has allowed us to dramatise them, as long as we don't pass the scripts onto any other group.)
http://narniaproductions.co.nz/

 
At Thu Aug 28, 05:34:00 AM EDT, Blogger Arevanye said...

Thanks for the note, Mike. I've been working full time now for awhile and haven't been able to devote myself to the blog like in the past. But I'm happy it's out there for people to enjoy.

Your production sounds wonderful!

 
At Thu Nov 06, 10:36:00 AM EST, Blogger dee.B said...

wow - your site is amazing! CS Lewis is timeless because he rejoices in the Truth (who is Jesus!) adding you now to the feed reader! ^^

 
At Fri Nov 14, 02:23:00 PM EST, Blogger Connie Marie said...

What a different perspective about interupting the pristine wilderness C.S.Lewis portrayed than the greenies that want to keep everyone and everything out of the wilderness. I enjoyed this post, it gives mankind a purpose! I know we don't go into the wilderness and destroy it, but we cultivate it, prune it and cause it's beauty to be enhanced so that others can see it more clearly! I love nature!

 
At Sat Nov 22, 02:40:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arevanye: Hello. I really appreciate the many gold nuggets at this site. Question: Can you tell me where it is that Lewis says God tells us to worship Him because He wants to give us the very best - Himself? Lewis also argues that when you praise art, you enjoy it more; so also when you praise God. Where did Lewis write that? Thank you!!

 
At Thu Jan 01, 02:22:00 PM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

Sorry, A.J., as you've discovered, I don't maintain this site, nor do I have an encyclopedic memory for C.S. Lewis quotations. Hope you found your answer somewhere.

 
At Sat Nov 13, 09:27:00 PM EST, Blogger Daniel Foucachon said...

Greetings,

I am the director of media at Canon Press, and run CanonWired.com.

We recently hosted a conversation between three CS Lewis scholars (Alan Jacobs, Doug Wilson, and ND Wilson) that I thought you would be interested in it. This was a part of our ministry, and free to distribute. If you would like to link to the video, or embed it in your own site, you are welcome to! We want it to get around!

Here is where we posted it:
http://www.canonwired.com/featured/alan-jacobs-imagination-lewis/

And here is the actual file to embed: http://vimeo.com/16414850

Thank you, and enjoy!

-Daniel Foucachon

(Alan Jacobs is the author of The Narnian, Douglas Wilson is the author of of What I Learned in Narnia, and ND Wilson, an author himself of children's Fantasy (100 Cupboards) is writing the screenplay for The Great Divorce).

 
At Fri Jul 01, 05:27:00 PM EDT, Blogger Hannah said...

Beautiful... I love this part: "Overcome us that, so overcome, we may be ourselves:" Becoming lost in Christ becomes our true identity.

Thank you-
Hannah

 
At Sun Jul 17, 09:44:00 AM EDT, Blogger Daren Redekopp said...

Fabulous stuff! I wonder, have you come across this quote before? I'm guessing you have.

http://girdupyourloins.blogspot.com/2011/07/clive-strikes-again.html

All the best to you.

 
At Sun Apr 21, 12:38:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to find your blog and note you're no longer adding to it. Perhaps you're blogging on a different site now? In any case, I'm glad you have left it online to explore.

Did you create that great animated gif of the fountain? I'd be interested in possibly using it if I could get permission from it's creator to do so.

 
At Sat May 04, 04:38:00 PM EDT, Blogger Arevanye said...

Hi, my apologies mereinkling, for being so tardy with my reply. Yes, I did make that animated gif and yes you may use it. Have a great day!

 
At Sat Nov 22, 03:08:00 AM EST, Blogger Anna said...

Your blog is really lovely. Just found it, and now I'm smitten. :)
Thank you.

 
At Sun Mar 15, 05:59:00 PM EDT, Blogger Unknown said...

not a Christian, but one of my favorite of Lewis. It makes you think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home