Monday, November 08, 2004

From Dream to Waking

This is how I distinguish dreaming and waking. When I am awake I can, in some degree, account for and study my dream. The dragon that pursued me last night can be fitted into my waking world. I know that there are such things as dreams; I know that I had eaten an indigestible dinner; I know that a man of my reading might be expected to dream of dragons. But while in the nightmare I could not have fitted in my waking experience. The waking world is judged more real because it can thus contain the dreaming world; the dreaming world is judged less real because it cannot contain the waking one. For the same reason I am certain that in passing from the scientific points of view to the theological, I have passed from dream to waking. Christian theology can fit in science, art, morality, and the sub-Christian religions. The scientific point of view cannot fit in any of these things, not even science itself. I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
~C.S. Lewis, "Is Theology Poetry?", The Weight of Glory (1945)

_________________________________

Cool link of the day: Wandering Fire Pottery

5 Comment(s):

At Mon Nov 08, 05:56:00 AM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

This quote confuses me a little, in that I don't understand what he means by "The scientific point of view cannot fit in any of these things, not even science itself." How can scientific beliefs not fit in a belief in science?

Also, I'm not sure what he means by sub-Christian religions. Is he speaking of pre-christianity--those religions that existed before Christian teachings? or is he speaking of non-Christian religions, like Buddhism and Hinduism?

But I do love the last line of this passage.

 
At Mon Nov 08, 06:55:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kerewyn: Hmmm... but what if the dreaming world contains all elements taken FROM the waking world? Actually... I know what he means here but can't find equivalent language to discuss it, and admire anyone who can. An interesting quote! (but I can't figure out the last bit either)

 
At Mon Nov 08, 09:11:00 AM EST, Blogger Arborfield said...

Psalm 36:9
"For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light."

 
At Mon Nov 08, 11:37:00 AM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

That's perfect. Thanks, Roger! =)

 
At Tue Nov 09, 03:00:00 AM EST, Blogger Pilot Mom said...

I love your site and check in most days to read what you have posted. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home