Tuesday, September 06, 2005

No Beauty We Could Desire

Yes, you are always everywhere. But I,
Hunting in such immeasurable forests,
Could never bring the noble hart to bay.

The scent was too perplexing for my hounds;
Nowhere sometimes, then again everywhere.
Other scents, too, seemed to them almost the same

Therefore I turn my back on the unapproachable
Stars and horizons and all musical sounds,
Poetry itself, and the winding stair of thought.

Leaving the forests where you are pursued in vain
--Often a mere white gleam--I turn instead
To the appointed place where you pursue.

Not in Nature, not even in Man, but in one
Particular Man, with a date, so tall, weighing
So much, talking Armaic, having learned a trade;

Not in all food, not in all bread and wine
(Not, I mean, as my littleness requires)
But this wine, this bread...no beauty we could desire.
~C.S. Lewis, Poems, (1964)

________________________

On this day:

1954 The Horse and His Boy was published by Geoffrey Bles, London.

1 Comment(s):

At Wed Sep 07, 05:56:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I hadn't come across that one before. It expresses quite a lot of how I feel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home