Friday, September 09, 2005

From the Far Land of Spare Oom

"Good evening," said Lucy. But the Faun was so busy picking up its parcels that at first it did not reply. When it had finished it made her a little bow.

"Good evening, good evening," said the Faun. "Excuse me - I don't want to be inquisitive - but should I be right in thinking that you are a Daughter of Eve?"

"My name's Lucy," said she, not quite understanding him.

"But you are - forgive me - you are what they call a girl?" said the Faun.

"Of course I'm a girl," said Lucy.

"You are in fact Human?"

"Of course I'm human," said Lucy, still a little puzzled.

"To be sure, to be sure," said the Faun. "How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted. That is to say -" and then it stopped as if it had been going to say something it had not intended but had remembered in time. "Delighted, delighted," it went on. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tumnus."

"I am very pleased to meet you, Mr. Tumnus," said Lucy.

"And may I ask, O Lucy Daughter of Eve," said Mr. Tumnus, "how you have come into Narnia?"

"Narnia? What's that?" said Lucy.

"This is the land of Narnia," said the Faun, "where we are now; all that lies between the lamp-post and the great castle of Cair Paravel on the eastern sea. And you - you have come from the wild woods of the west?"

"I - I got in through the wardrobe in the spare room," said Lucy.

"Ah!" said Mr. Tumnus in a rather melancholy voice, "if only I had worked harder at geography when I was a little Faun, I should no doubt know all about those strange countries. It is too late now."

"But they aren't countries at all," said Lucy, almost laughing. "It's only just back there - at least - I'm not sure. It is summer there."

"Meanwhile," said Mr. Tumnus, "it is winter in Narnia, and has been for ever so long, and we shall both catch cold if we stand here talking in the snow. Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom where eternal summer reigns around the bright city of War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"
~C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, (1950)

______________________

On this day:

1960 Studies in Words was published by Cambridge University Press.

______________________

Note to readers: I couldn't resist including a little spoiler pic from the upcoming movie. My apologies if you are trying to remain spoiler-free. I just think that Lucy looks adorable!
~Arevanye

2 Comment(s):

At Wed Sep 14, 01:49:00 PM EST, Blogger Jilb said...

I LOVE the Narnia Series!

 
At Thu Nov 03, 08:00:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a special connection to the Narnia books. I read them all over a weekend when I was about 11. I was chatting with a friend today and asked him about his "oom". A quote that always stuck in my head like an inside joke no one got. A quick google on Narnia and Ooom got me to your site. Happy to be here. Loves..Susi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home