Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Concerning Centaurs

"Now, Roonwit," said the King. "Do you bring us more news of Aslan?"
Roonwit looked very grave, frowning a little.
"Sire," he said, "you know how long I have lived and studied the stars; for we centaurs live longer than you men, and even longer than your kind, Unicorn. Never in all my days have I seen such terrible things written in the skies as there have been nightly since this year began. The stars say nothing of the coming of Aslan, nor of peace, nor of joy. I know by my art that there have not been such disastrous conjunctions of the planets for five hundred years. It was already in my mind to come and warn your Majesty that some great evil hangs over Narnia. But last night the rumor reached me that Aslan is abroad in Narnia. Sire, do not believe this tale. It cannot be. The stars never lie, but men and beasts do."
~The Rashness of the King, The Last Battle

9 Comment(s):

At Tue Sep 14, 05:09:00 AM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

Any Harry Potter fans out there? Does this sound familiar?

“I know that you have learned the names of the planets and their moons in Astronomy,” said Firenze’s calm voice, “and that you have mapped the stars’ progress through the heavens. Centaurs have unraveled the mysteries of these movements over centuries. Our findings teach us that the future may be glimpsed in the sky above us…”
~J.K. Rowling, “The Centaur and the Sneak”, Harry Potter and the Order of the PhoenixIt would be interesting to know if Rowling used Lewis as her “inspiration” for her Astronomer-Centaur, or if there are legends going further back that she bases her character on…

 
At Tue Sep 14, 12:21:00 PM EST, Blogger Joelle said...

I *knew* reading HP would come in handy! ;)

I didn't make that connection before...I have a feeling Rowling was a fan of both LOTR and Narnia.

I always liked the king in this book, except here. He seems almost drunk with comfort, and it seemed that if the Dryad hadn't come screaming to him, he never would have looked twice to see if the claims of Aslan were true.

P.S. Don't both going to my blogspot blog, I'm not using it, I'm just using it so I can post here.

 
At Tue Sep 14, 01:57:00 PM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

There's a lot of discussion about whether her ideas are all that original or not. I remember Ursula Le Guin (of Earthsea fame) said something like "A story based on a boy attending a school for wizards...hmmm...seems like I wrote an entire series like that back in the sixties!"

I'm sorry you had to go to the trouble of creating a blog, Joelle. It seems that I was able to post just with a membership for a long time on Blogger. They must have changed that.

Believe it or not, my hit counter is showing hits from all over the place, so I have been considering requiring membership to post since I started this blog. While we think we might know who is posting, there is no guarantee, and no way to do anything about problem posters if they don't have to have an account.

 
At Tue Sep 14, 02:19:00 PM EST, Blogger Joelle said...

Doesn't it have a function that you could block the IP addresses of trouble posters? *Looks down at the mess she made in the previous post* Maybe I shouldn't have told you that....;)

Oh! About Earthsea, have you read those books? If so, which is the first one? I tried to look it up on the Borders computer and I just got more confused.

 
At Tue Sep 14, 02:39:00 PM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

Yes, it has that function, but I wouldn't know if the particular anonymous poster (whose I.P. I would be banning) had only posted the one time, or was doing all the troublesome posts. Am I making sense? Besides, I think it's a good idea to ask for a little accountability.

The first book in the Earthsea Cycle is "A Wizard of Earthsea" (1968), then "The Tombs of Atuan", "The Farthest Shore", "Tehanu", "Tales from Earthsea", and "The Other Wind". She just published "The Other Wind" in 2001, so fans of the Earthsea stories have had to wait a LONG time for the conclusion! Did you hear they are making the stories into a mini-series on the Sci-Fi channel?

 
At Tue Sep 14, 02:43:00 PM EST, Blogger Joelle said...

Perfect sense.

Wow! That is a long time! Yah, I was watching Stargate, and I saw the commercials for the miniseries. Looks very interesting. And at Comic Con, the scifi channel both gave out these wacky necklaces with this gold metal compassy looking thing, and it's suppose to be from EarthSea. I wanna figure out what it's suppose to be!

So, are the books worth buying?

 
At Tue Sep 14, 02:59:00 PM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

Oh, yes! Do buy them. I think Ursula Le Guin is a fantastic author. The thing I like about her is she isn't afraid to make her heroes women or non-white males.

A golden compass? Hmmmm....are you sure they weren't giving those away in anticipation of the Phillip Pullman movie? (The Golden Compass, that is.) Did it look kind of like the compass pictured here? Golden Compass Movie Site. It's been a while since I read Earthsea, but I'm coming up blank on that one.

 
At Tue Sep 14, 03:22:00 PM EST, Blogger Joelle said...

No...doesn't look anything like that. Looks much jewlerylike than functional. lol, I'm not making any sense. I'd just go ahead and take a picture of it, but last night when i tried to take a picture, my camera was smoking, so I need to get it fixed.

I'll have to pick up the first book next time I'm at Borders.

 
At Thu Sep 16, 01:49:00 PM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home