Friday, December 03, 2004

A Glimpse of The Unfallen World


"First Snow" by Carl Sams II and Jean Stoick


...I said that everything a man does to a beast is
either a lawful exercise or a sacrilegious abuse of an authority by divine right. I didn't say which of the things we now see men doing to beasts fall into which class. The robin in a cage and the over-fed Peke are both, to me, instances of the abuse of man's authority, tho' in different ways. I never denied that the abuse was common: that is why we have to make laws (and ought to make a good many more) for the protection of animals.

I do know what you mean by the sudden ravishing glimpse of animal life in itself, its wildness--to meet a squirrel in a wood or even a hedgehog in the garden makes me happy. But that is because it is, being partly exempt from the Fall, a symbol and reminder of the unfallen world we long for.
~C.S. Lewis, The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis: Volume II, Letter to Mrs. Stuart Moore (Jan 1941)

_________________________________

On this day:

1954 Lewis completes his last tutorial at Magdalen College, Oxford, after accepting a chair at Cambridge

Cool Link of the Day: The Wildlife Photography of Carl Sams II and Jean Stoick

5 Comment(s):

At Fri Dec 03, 08:44:00 AM EST, Blogger CarolynT said...

Your blog topic is well-timed. I was just reading about a situation in the mid-west where thousands of wild horses will be slaughtered so that cattle farmers can use the land to graze on subsidized land. Land that was supposed to be kept for these displaced horses, since their previous home had been taken for commercial development. I cannot believe that they cannot find other lands and instead will slaughter them for horsemeat to ship overseas! If you want to read more or sign a petition, here are the links:

http://www.wildhorsepreservation.com./
http://www.wildhorsepreservation.com./resources/action.html

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/166841148?ts=1102081325&sign[partner_userID]=283610636&sign[memberID]=283610636&sign[partnerID]=1

 
At Fri Dec 03, 11:51:00 AM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

Thanks for the information, Carolyn! That is just terrible that the lawmakers think they can just sneak that into an omnibus spending bill and that no one will be the wiser. I signed the petition. Too bad they've deleted your post on TORn.

No such deletions here!

Here's a better link to the petition: American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign

 
At Fri Dec 03, 01:38:00 PM EST, Blogger CarolynT said...

I did a whole report on the Omnibus Spending Bill when I was in college. Talk about mind-boggling. It's a vehicle for pork. Pork, I say!!!

*sigh* Thanks for the sanctuary!

 
At Fri Dec 03, 02:08:00 PM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

Oh, and I have to make one other comment on this post, and that is about the photographers. I've had the pleasure of meeting them at a book signing and they are lovely people. We have their childrens book "Stranger in the Woods" and it is one of the kids' favorites. Check out their beautiful Christmas cards at their website too.

 
At Fri Dec 03, 04:41:00 PM EST, Blogger CarolynT said...

I read that to my daughter at the bookstore! Great pictures. The authors are a husband and wife team, as I recall...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home