Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Lewis on Joy's Death

It is hard to have patience with people who say "There is no death" or "Death doesn't matter." There is death. And whatever is, matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn't matter. I look up at the night sky. Is anything more certain than that in all those vast times and spaces, if I were allowed to search them, I should nowhere find her face, her voice, her touch? She died. She is dead. Is the word so difficult to learn?
~C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed, Chapter 1 (1961)

_________________________

On this day:

1917 Lewis (age 18) arrives at Oxford University to begin his studies.

2 Comment(s):

At Tue Apr 26, 06:19:00 PM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

*hugs Sandi*

Awwww...sorry if I depressed you with this quotation. I just thought it was so--tragic, so poignant.

 
At Tue Apr 26, 07:11:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found "A Grief Observed" very powerful. I'll admit that "A Problem of Pain" left me cold and, to be brutally frank, rather irritated. But AGO is real. Yes, that's what it feels like. There's a hole in the world, and nothing will ever be the same again. It's raw, and it hurts.

I'd enjoyed his works for many years, but I don't think I loved Jack the man until I read this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home