Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Only Sensible Thing

I think the trouble with me is lack of faith. I have no rational ground for going back on the arguments that convinced me of God's existence: but the irrational deadweight of my old sceptical habits, and the spirit of this age, and the cares of the day, steal away all my lively feeling of the truth, and often when I pray I wonder if I am not posting letters to a non-existant address. Mind you I don't think so--the whole of my reasonable mind is convinced: but I often feel so. However, there is nothing to do but to peg away. One falls so often that it hardly seems worth while picking oneself up and going through the farce of starting over again as if you could ever hope to walk. Still, this seeming absurdity is the only sensible thing I do, so I must continue it.
~C.S. Lewis, Letter to Arthur Greeves, (24 December 1930)

4 Comment(s):

At Fri Feb 16, 03:05:00 AM EST, Blogger Arborfield said...

Where is the track? Welcome back... I've been away myself for a few days, so missed the actual day (but I have been chekcing for some reason recently).

Blessings....

 
At Fri Feb 16, 04:47:00 AM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

No idea, Roger. It's just a stock photo I pulled from stock.xchg--I thought it was really cute.

 
At Sat Feb 17, 04:07:00 AM EST, Blogger Arborfield said...

... and I've copied the whole posting as a 'tribute' to you!

 
At Sat Feb 17, 08:10:00 PM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

Thanks, Roger. Where is your blog? I can't find my bookmark for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home