Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Top Ten

C.S. Lewis's Top Ten Books that influenced him:

1. Phantastes by George MacDonald.
2.The Everlasting Man by G. K. Chesterton.
3. The Aeneid by Virgil.
4. The Temple by George Herbert.
5. The Prelude by William Wordsworth.
6. The Idea of the Holy by Rudolf Otto.
7. The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius.
8. Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell.
9. Descent into Hell by Charles Williams.
10. Theism and Humanism by Arthur James Balfour.

June 6, 1962 issue of The Christian Century

Lewis on George MacDonald, author of Phantastes:

I have never concealed the fact that I regarded him as my master; indeed I fancy I have never written a book in which I did not quote from him. But it has not seemed to me that those who have received my books kindly take even now sufficient notice of the affiliation. Honesty drives me to emphasise it. And even if honesty did not--well, I am a don, and "source-hunting" (Quellenforschung) is perhaps in my marrow.
~C.S. Lewis, George MacDonald: An Anthology, Preface (1947)

_____________________


On this day:

1939 The Personal Heresy is published by Oxford University Press.

2 Comment(s):

At Wed Apr 27, 04:38:00 PM EST, Blogger Matthew said...

Oh wow. You have no idea how great it is to find this list. Actually, looking at your blog, you probably do. Suffice it to say, I'll be hunting down and devouring each of these in the very near future.

I just found your lovely blog, and given the absolute monumentality (in my eyes) of this first post to greet me, I'll definitely be back often.

 
At Wed Apr 27, 04:48:00 PM EST, Blogger Arevanye said...

Hi Matthew, welcome to The Window. :) Please, stop by as often as you can!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home